The investigation reportedly did not end at the airport.
According to the Daily Mail, federal authorities returned to Washington, D.C., and executed additional court-approved warrants at Swalwell’s residence the following day. Agents allegedly entered the Northeast Washington home on Sunday and removed items they believed could be relevant to the investigation.
Sources told the outlet that neither Swalwell nor his wife, Brittany Watts, was present when agents arrived at the property.
Swalwell reportedly began Saturday in Washington before traveling to San Francisco. By the time he landed in California, however, federal agents were allegedly waiting for him.
The reported actions represent a significant development in an investigation that has drawn attention to a series of serious accusations against the former congressman.
At least four women have publicly accused Swalwell of sexual assault or other sexual misconduct, according to the report. Swalwell has denied the sexual assault allegations.
One former staffer accused Swalwell of raping her on two separate occasions. She alleged that she was too intoxicated to consent and claimed that Swalwell took advantage of her condition.
Another woman has accused the former lawmaker of drugging and raping her in 2018.
Two additional women have reportedly accused Swalwell of sending them unsolicited photographs of his genitals.
The allegations have placed the former congressman under growing scrutiny, and the Daily Mail reported that the Department of Justice opened a federal investigation into the accusations in April.
The former lawmaker has also reportedly faced separate inquiries involving the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
Despite the allegations, Swalwell has consistently denied accusations that he committed sexual assault.
He previously acknowledged what he described as poor personal decisions and apologized to his wife after the allegations became public. Politico previously reported that Swalwell expressed regret for his conduct, though he denied the more serious accusations made against him.
The controversy also reportedly had political consequences.
Swalwell’s prospects in California politics were damaged after the allegations surfaced, derailing his effort to pursue the governor’s office. He had been viewed by some observers as a potential contender to replace Gavin Newsom.
Now, the reported federal search warrants and seizure of electronic devices have added a new layer to the controversy.
The Daily Mail reported that the search of Swalwell’s devices and Washington residence was unrelated to his past political and personal relationship with a woman known as Fang Fang, who was accused of operating as a Chinese intelligence operative.
That episode had already generated years of controversy surrounding Swalwell, particularly because of questions about his relationship with Fang Fang and his access to sensitive information as a member of Congress.
However, according to the report, the latest federal activity concerns an entirely separate matter involving the sexual misconduct allegations.
As of Thursday morning, the Department of Justice had not publicly commented on the Daily Mail’s report.
The details of what federal agents were seeking, what information may have been contained on Swalwell’s devices, and what items were allegedly removed from his Washington residence remain unclear.
A search warrant and the seizure of property do not establish criminal guilt, and Swalwell has denied the allegations against him. Still, if the report is confirmed, the weekend operation would mark a major escalation in the federal investigation surrounding the former congressman.
With multiple investigations reportedly underway and federal authorities now said to have obtained access to potential electronic evidence, questions surrounding Swalwell’s legal and political future are likely to intensify in the days ahead.


