Atheists are ecstatic as New Jersey does away with the “so help me God” pledge for political candidates.
The move infuriated conservatives.
“Communist Republic of New Jersey Kicks Out God Again,” podcaster Ken Matthews, who formerly often filled in as a guest presenter for Rush Limbaugh, summed up the circumstances in a post on the social networking site X.
Don’t miss this! Carry faith with you everywhere with the Exclusive National Prayer Coin!
In a recent development, a requirement was eliminated in late October as a result of a federal lawsuit brought by an atheist. After the legal process, the decision was made by the Secretary of State of New Jersey, guaranteeing that everyone would be treated equally.
With the aid of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, a 70-year-old Bergen County citizen aspiring to Congress, James Tosone filed the federal lawsuit on October 3. The organization said that because of its victorious legal struggle, the state “is becoming markedly more inclusive.”
A lawsuit claims that a self-described “nontheist” has had their First Amendment rights violated.
“While Mr. Tosone previously completed the candidate petition in order to participate in past elections, he now sincerely believes, as a matter of conscience, that he cannot swear ‘so help me God,’” the lawsuit said.
“By requiring plaintiff to swear ‘so help me God,’ in order to run for public office, without a secular option, the secretary of state has inflicted, and will continue to inflict, irreparable harm upon (Tosone),” it continued.
According to NJ.com, a state elections expert suggested Tosone get in touch with lawmakers about possibly changing the state laws.
ALERT! Major Water Restrictions In Effect!
Observation! Notable alterations have been place! All county clerks received a message on October 24 from Lauren Zyriek, the acting director of the New Jersey Division of Elections. This document described many amendments to the Act.
Now, petitioners seeking to be included on a ballot can choose to “to make a solemn affirmation or declaration in lieu of an oath,” based on the memo.
The declaration states that potential candidates have the option of using the secular-leaning phrase, “I … do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm” alternatively they might employ the more conventional, “I … do declare, in the presence of Almighty God, the witness of the truth of what I say.”
“In addition, in the affirmation or declaration, the words “so help me God” shall be omitted,” the memo added.
Early this week, Tosone’s attorneys expeditiously filed a move to dismiss the complaint. The matter was immediately resolved when a court approved the dismissal the next day.
Not all states have historically required candidates running for public office or those taking the oath of office to say “so help me God.”
According to Just the News, many places do this, although some, “most notably the presidential oath of office — do not require it.”
The publication claims that both Joe Biden and Donald Trump used the words when taking the oath of office.
They took their place, joining a long-standing custom that began with President Abraham Lincoln’s inauguration in 1861.




