in

ActBlue Under Fire: “146 Fifth Amendments” Stun Investigators

>> Continued From the Previous Page <<

The Financial Engine Behind Democratic Campaigns

ActBlue is not a minor fundraising tool. It is, in effect, the central financial pipeline for Democratic campaigns nationwide.

Since its creation in 2004, the platform has processed an estimated $16 billion in donations, fueling Senate races, House campaigns, and presidential bids across two decades. Its role expanded dramatically during the 2024 election cycle, particularly after President Joe Biden exited the race and Kamala Harris became the Democratic nominee.

Within 24 hours of her campaign launch, ActBlue reportedly processed $81 million in donations for Harris alone. By Election Day, her total fundraising haul had climbed to approximately $615 million.

But congressional investigators say the speed and scale of that fundraising raised serious questions about whether proper safeguards were being followed.

A joint report cited by lawmakers alleges that ActBlue trained new fraud-prevention staff to “look for reasons to accept contributions” rather than block suspicious activity.

Questions Over Fraud Controls and Foreign Activity

The House Administration Committee, led by Chairman Bryan Steil, began investigating ActBlue in 2023. One of the initial concerns was surprisingly basic: the platform did not consistently require CVV verification—the three-digit security code found on credit cards that most online retailers require.

As the investigation expanded, lawmakers say the findings became more troubling.

Internal documents allegedly show ActBlue relaxed its fraud detection standards twice during the 2024 election cycle, even as staff were aware of attempted fraud involving foreign actors. In one 30-day period spanning September and October 2024, investigators reportedly identified 237 donations originating from foreign IP addresses using domestic prepaid cards.

According to congressional documents, those transactions were detected—but not stopped.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton launched a parallel investigation, claiming his office successfully replicated suspicious donation behavior on the platform even after ActBlue told Congress the issue had been resolved.

Paxton filed suit under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, stating:

“ActBlue lied to Congress and to the American people,” Paxton said, “and I will ensure justice is served.”

Witnesses Invoke the Fifth 146 Times

Perhaps the most striking development came during April depositions, when five ActBlue employees refused to answer questions repeatedly, invoking the Fifth Amendment a combined 146 times.

The group included former legal and compliance officials, among them ActBlue’s former general counsel and senior counsel staff.

According to the House report, the witnesses “declined to answer a single one of the Committees’ substantive questions.”

A Mass Exodus Inside the Company

By early 2025, ActBlue’s legal and compliance divisions had nearly collapsed. Every member of the team either resigned, was terminated, or went on extended leave.

Lawmakers argue the departures were not coincidental. Their report describes the situation as a “direct consequence of ActBlue’s failure to deter illegal foreign political donations – and the subsequent cover-up.”

One resignation letter from Interim General Counsel Aaron Ting reportedly raised concerns about how foreign donation screening was being handled and whether the company had been transparent with Congress.

Shortly after submitting his resignation, Ting was placed on leave and cut off from internal systems.

Meanwhile, committees led by Steil, Oversight Chairman James Comer, and Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan say subpoenaed records were “deliberately incomplete,” and that ActBlue effectively “suspended its cooperation with the investigation entirely.”

The June 10 Hearing and What Comes Next

CEO Regina Wallace-Jones initially declined to appear voluntarily, with her legal team describing the investigation as a “partisan attack.” She later agreed to testify after Congress scheduled a public hearing for June 10.

But her position is complicated. Reports indicate her own outside counsel previously warned she may have misrepresented aspects of ActBlue’s foreign donation screening practices in prior communications with Congress.

Jim Jordan summarized the issue bluntly, stating: “That’s a nice way of saying you weren’t square. You were lying to Congress.”

Because the upcoming hearing is public and voluntary, Wallace-Jones cannot invoke the Fifth Amendment in the same manner as prior witnesses. She will be required to answer questions on the record, live, and in front of national scrutiny.

The timing is politically significant. Just as the hearing approaches, lawmakers on the House Administration Committee advanced new campaign finance legislation aimed specifically at tightening controls on foreign-origin donations.

The vote was unanimous.

That bipartisan consensus suggests lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are increasingly concerned about what may be revealed next.

With $16 billion processed through ActBlue over its lifetime—and hundreds of millions tied to the most recent presidential cycle—the stakes are no longer theoretical.

They are now heading straight for public testimony, on camera, with answers finally required.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Erika Kirk Conversation With Fetterman Goes VIRAL

Paul McCartney Stuns Crowd… Democrats Furious